3/23/21

Tootsie Roll Tuesday 2021-11



Compassion fatigue - when one has reached his or her limits in caring, empathizing, being compassionate.  I does not mean you cannot care, empathize, or be compassionate; it means you need to create boundaries, find balance, and take care of yourself as well.  All kinds of professions can experience compassion fatigue but I also believe that pet owners can experience it as well. 



I was feeling that way last week as Tootsie Roll had not been feeling well and it was wearing on me.  I started to think and read about St. Francis of Assisi, wondering if he ever felt the fatigue of compassion.  While on that journey I realized that it was his pure faith in God and his relationship with Him that would have allowed him to share that burden of compassion fatigue with Him and that in sharing that burden with God, in having a companion with whom to share that fatigue, he most likely did not experience the fatigue of compassion for humans, nature, and animals in the way many of us often do.  


My thoughts then turned to my recent prayers with God, many of them related to Tootsie Roll and asking for guidance in my care of her, and I realized that I was not alone in caring for Tootsie; that I have a Companion who can withstand anything and everything I pass His way, One who is always watching over us with loving care and kindness.  This allowed me to refocus and rejuvenate and to be optimistic.


Tootsie Roll is still have a few diarrhea issues but we have a plan in place and a vet appointment scheduled.  We have reestablished a balance in our daily rhythm and a continued, open conversation with our constant companion in this life, the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit.  


Compassion Fatigue & Animal Wellness


St. Francis & the Humane Society


The Canticle of Creation

No comments:

Post a Comment